Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Medical Appointment


Today was my medical appointment for court.  I got picked up at my hotel at 7:15 this morning and arrived at the "hospital" at 7:45.  After nearly three hours, I was finally cleared, as a healthy individual, suitable to parent lil' V.  Woot woot!!  In the end...that's all that mattered. 

 
Anyhow, a lil' bit about the medical exams...I saw every possible doctor under the sun…SERIOUSLY!!  I saw the oncologist, pulmonologist, dermatologist, cardiologist, neurologist, psychologist, and infectious disease specialist, all this morning.  

When we arrived we met with the Director of the Clinic (which I swore she said she was the Director of the Cleaners--I was soooooo confused!) and waited there to be "examined".  First, I met with the infectious disease specialist (ie, he asked if I had any infectious diseases and that was about it), followed by the pulmonologist (who reviewed my chest x-rays I brought with me from the states and asked about some family history).  Then I waited for Cindy to have some lab work, EKG and chest x-rays.  

Now...let me  back up for a moment...Cindy had been complaining of gas pains all morning long and tried blaming it on the pepperoni pizza from last night.  But I wasn't having any of that, because I ate the pizza and wasn't having gas pains.  Anyhow, when the pulmonologist got Cindy's chest x-rays back and were showing us, guess what they showed...THREE LARGE sockets of air!  Yup, her gas pains were legit.  Needless to say...long story short, Cindy and I just about died laughing in the hallway when that was pointed out to us.  Best story all day!


Anyhow...I brought my chest X-ray on a CD, EKG results, and blood work, which included, complete blood count, complete metabolic profile, fasting cholesterol panel, hepatitis virus panel, HIV testing, RPR for syphilis and TB skin testing, so I didn't have to have any of that done here.  And given the amount of money you can save, I recommend everyone does it!

The psychologist was good practice for court.  He drilled me on my age, martial status and motive for wanting to adopt given both of those factors.  But in the end, he was satisfied and signed off on his portion of my exam :)

Then I met with the remaining doctors.  The most  awkward part was my last and final doctor:  the oncologist.  Yes, the oncologist, who proceeded to do full breast exam, in front of my adoption coordinator, as well as two other doctors.  Talk about uncomfortable!!  :-(

Then I was done...finally I was deemed HEALTHY after three hours of examination.  Overall, not as bad as I anticipated, but definitely thankful it is done and checked off my list!


After our exams, we spent the next two hours driving/sitting in traffic and waiting in the car while E got our paperwork from the drs notarized and dropped off at the court for the judge to review prior to court on Thursday.

Tomorrow I will go see my daughter!!  I tried to talk E into letting me go visit her this afternoon, but no such luck.  My afternoon will consist of a trip down to McD for lunch and either KFC or Pizza Hut for dinner later.   Exciting I know...

The weather here isn't too bad...a few flurries, but not windy so it doesn't make it seem as cold.  But it's overcast with NO sign of the sun.  In fact, it's dark until 10 am and again by 5 pm this time of year.  It makes for "short" days. 

I can't wait to see lil' V in the morning!!  I hope she remembers her mommy!!!  Thanks so much for the prayers.

much love and appreciation...
Rach


2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! The prayers are working and God knows that little cutie needs to be home with you. I will continue to pray that the rest of your trip goes smoothly and Little V' is home in her own bed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, This Thanksgiving the Shoemaker Family is Thankful for YOU. We Praise God for you following His will for your life, and for you allowing us to be a part of this part of your life! Safe travels our dear friend,
    Lynn, Michael, Kelly, Papp Shoe
    XXO

    ReplyDelete