Having the Olympics in Russia this year has been a bit difficult for me to get excited about. Every time I see the large amount of money spent on providing a "show" for people to be entertained and the politics behind that "show" it leaves me feeling sick to my stomach. I respect the dedication and hard work all the athletes have, in order to compete. However, having the Olympics in Russia has made it difficult to watch.
Today, like many days, I am feeling so discouraged about the plight of all the orphans locked behind closed doors, hidden away from the world, while the world watches figure skating and snowboarding on TV. Nobody wants to talk about the "orphan problem" but some of those children are not much better off than the stray dogs of Sochi being exterminated on the streets, so they won't be an embarrassment to the government.
However, there is a difference. A very sad difference. The difference: the children are not in the public eye anymore. Putin won't let anyone from the outside in to see them, advocate for them, or adopt them. But adopting the dogs are okay! Seriously?!?! Families continue to fight for their sons and daughters and are repeatedly told "no, they cannot bring them home!"
But I will never forget that they are there! I have seen them with my own eyes! I am heartbroken all over again for them...and my many friends who want(ed) to adopt them, but were forbidden to do so due to ridiculous politics! May we not forget those left behind!
Today, like many days, I am feeling so discouraged about the plight of all the orphans locked behind closed doors, hidden away from the world, while the world watches figure skating and snowboarding on TV. Nobody wants to talk about the "orphan problem" but some of those children are not much better off than the stray dogs of Sochi being exterminated on the streets, so they won't be an embarrassment to the government.
However, there is a difference. A very sad difference. The difference: the children are not in the public eye anymore. Putin won't let anyone from the outside in to see them, advocate for them, or adopt them. But adopting the dogs are okay! Seriously?!?! Families continue to fight for their sons and daughters and are repeatedly told "no, they cannot bring them home!"
But I will never forget that they are there! I have seen them with my own eyes! I am heartbroken all over again for them...and my many friends who want(ed) to adopt them, but were forbidden to do so due to ridiculous politics! May we not forget those left behind!

You appear to have forgotten that helping others isn't a zero-sum game -- and that every single act to make our world a tiny bit better is a blessing. Kindhearted people were moved by the plight of stray dogs in sochi and decided to help them - yippee! That's awesome!
ReplyDeleteRather a lot of US families harmed the Russian kids they promised to love/protect (Max Shatto, Masha Allen, Reuters Child Exchange investigation -- rehomed kids!) .