Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gotcha Day...A Day FULL of NEW Experiences


I could not sleep again last night because I was so excited about getting Vika!  My adoption coordinator picked us up today at  8:15 am with cakes and treats to give to the orphanage staff.  When we arrived there we discovered they weren’t ready yet, so we ran down the street to take care of some business at the bank.  An hour later we were back at the orphanage to pick up Vika.  

Typically they would take us to an upstairs room for us to change Vika, but today, due to the Chicken Pox outbreak, they came and took the clothes we brought from home so they could dress her in them.  The only thing that she could bring home with her from the orphanage was a car that she was carrying when she came up the stairs to see me (and they prolly didn’t realize I put it in my pocket).  Everything had to stay.  Even her underwear!

Anyhow, after changing her into her “gotcha outfit” from grandma, they brought Vika out, and it was time go home (literally a 5-7 minute process).  Praise the Lord, she recognized me, which was really nice and she came straight into my arms, because she no sooner came out and they workers were instructing me to put on her snow pants, coat, hat and get her outta there. :( So much for a goodbye celebration.  

As we headed down the stairs to leave, Vika began to get tears in her eyes.  Thankfully some of the workers, came and gave her a kiss good-bye.  I know they were good to by baby...but...It was as though she knew she was leaving and it saddened her.  My heart broke, knowing that I was causing this pain as I took her away from EVERYTHING she has ever known.  I knew this was going to be difficult, but I guess I was hoping she would be excited to leave the orphanage and go with mommy.  After all, on the first trip, she got teary when they took her from me…and now here was my daughter crying as we prepared to leave her orphanage.

She did well on the trip to the hotel.  She looked a little scared at first but did not cry.  She sat on my lap and held on to the “bar” in front of her and took it all in.  She was FREE AT LAST, even though she didn’t understand it then.  Good-bye orphanage…hello family.


Because we were blessed to pick up our babies a day earlier than originally planned my room was not originally booked to start until Wednesday (as Cindy, Steph and I were all staying in the same room).  Anyhow, last night when I found out that I would be picking up Vika a day early, I requested my room a day earlier.  Anyhow, long story, short, when we got back from picking up our babies from the orphanage, we found that my room would not be ready for me to move in for a few more hours.

Many people may not see that as being a big deal, but the transition of rooms proved to be difficult (more than I anticipated).  I knew the potential for “fear” was there, but…wow, my baby girl was so scared, and we had lots of tears.  :(

But before I go into the difficult time we had, let me share a bit about all the fun we had.  When we got upstairs (took her first elevator ride and did very well), we went to our room (my old room).  I had to unpack everything as I had everything packed up to take to my new room.  And the playing began.



She enjoyed playing with lil’ E’s musical dragon.  My lil’ girl LOVES anything that makes noise!!!

She played with her Barbie and Ken dolls.  She would dress and undress them, like she did the baby dolls in the orphanage.  I am amazed at how content she is doing that.  She does not imaginary play with them, just dresses and undresses them.    
Vika liked the playing with the three lil’ Madam Alexander dolls from her grandma.  She really liked the texture of the feather on the one lil’ guys hat.  She kept touching it, and rubbing it on her hands and arms.  Sensory issues??
Tight squeeze…she loves the Kansas bear from her Auntie Stephie.
 
So, this is Vika watching the "Momma for a Mammoth" that I posted yesterday with her Russian talking Mammoth from the local toy store.
and this is my baby girl, all ready for bed!!!
Please keep us in your prayers.  We still have nine days here before we get to come home.  This is all new for my daughter and I hope she doesn’t get too overwhelmed with all the new experiences.  I promise to share more when time allows me more time to sort out all my emotions.  The one thing I KNOW is that the Lord has blessed me with a very special daughter and I am honored to be called her mommy.

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love all the pictures!!! Alex was really scared also but she will be all better when you get home and she can finally get into a safe and predicable routine. Just hand in there and keep on loving her. You are an inspiration and I can't wait to see you here in the USA with Vika!!!! Love you!!!!!!!!!
    Adri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and hugs to you both!
    The Shoemakers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope everything goes smoothly from here on out! Stay warm! I get a chill just thinking about how cold it was last February there. Vika is just adorable. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you both. Transitions take time so make sure and be patient with your emotions and hers. Not only is this completely new for her but its also new for you. Big hugs and prayers for love filled experiences in her home country before you head to her new home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a brave girl! I can't imagine how hard it is for them to walk out those doors and have absolutely no idea what is in store for them. Alina cried in the car ride with such sorrow that I cried just trying to imagine the confusion and fear she must be feeling. She's golden now, but wow - the emotions, huh?! Anyway, I'm so happy you 2 are finally a family. Cutest Family Ever!

    ReplyDelete