Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Overdue Update

Life has been happening and this mama hasn't had much time or energy to blog.  But things are finally settling down and I have a lil' bit of time this evening to catch everyone up on Vika's life. 

First off...Vika is doing wonderful!!  She absolutely LOVES daycare and her new friends there.  She enjoys having that opportunity to interact with other children.  I can't wait for her to start pre-school in the fall.  She's going to 'eat it up'!!

Vika's language is really coming along.  I'm trying to work with her on speaking in "complete" sentences, as opposed to short phrases.  But overall, she has made amazing growth.  She rarely speaks Russian, which saddens me, and reminds me that I need to call her 'tutor'.  We haven't had a "lesson" since I started back to school...and I can tell.  She continues to watch Russian cartoons and sing in Russian, so she still hears it...but there just aren't many opportunities for her to speak it anymore.  I wish her Russian friends lived closer...maybe one day!!

Vika is a smart lil' girl.  She is counting to 15 consistently and can demonstrate her understanding of one-to-one correspondence.   She knows her colors and shapes and is beginning to recognize her letters...but we still have a LONG way to go in this area.  I am also trying to teach her how to write her name.

She loves the warm weather we have had lately (super mild winter) and enjoys playing at the park and riding her bike.  

Vika continues to be a picky eater but is doing better.  My real concern continues to be her intake of liquids (or lack thereof).  Due to four years in an orphanage, she learned that she didn't need to consume liquids...and continues to believe this.  It is a "constant" battle to get her to drink...much of anything but I think she's slowly learning that mama is gonna make her drink.  

In addition to that, we are working on being healthier.  Vika came home, and although she wasn't underweight, she was definitely malnourished.  Her diet in the baby house didn't consist of meat, fruits or veggies.  So now that we're into a solid routine, I'm working to get lots of nutritional foods into her system...even though that means my diet is changing.  

Now for some pictures...

A Favorite Smile

Justin with Vika

Bowling with Justin
and mama


another great smile (at Cheddars)

checking out the fish



Getting her bowling ball

having fun

I can do it, Mama!!

These were taking last weekend...Justin took Vika to her first circus.  She loved everything, except Batman...he was scary!

Vika sitting on the clown's lap

ummmm, what' sup with his nose??

he seems okay....

giving her a sticker that says, "I hugged a clown"


Barney from the Flintstones

and Mickey Mouse

sitting on Justin with her glow stick

the tigers


waiting with mama to ride the elephant

waiting some more with Michele and Ryleigh




1 comment:

  1. That smile! Don't worry about the drinking too much. She'll learn to self-regulate it soon. If you make a big deal of it, she will be too conscious of it and it will come less naturally. Ali had food issues for 3 whole months and it was so hard some days to not say anything, but she figured it out on her own :) Great update! You are so good about posting pictures.

    ReplyDelete