Some of you have asked what I plan to bring with me, on this trip...so here you go...my packing list!
My Packing List for Trip 1
R*ssian Phrase Book
Converters
Bag with things for V (contains stacking cups, crayons, coloring books, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, play doh, small lightweight books, photo album containing pics of me, my family/house/neighborhood/playground etc, and a stuffed Llama (purchased by my mom) which I have kept in bed with me for the past week so it has my scent. I will be asking the orphanage to keep this llama stuffed animal with V until I return (although this may be a long shot). My mom purchased two of the same llamas so I will bring the “same” one again on my 2nd trip and be sure that one comes home with little V).
List of questions to ask the caregivers/orphanage director
Amb*en (a MUST for this sleepless momma)
Aspirin (so I can continue to train while I'm in St. Pe*e)
Granola Bars
Cell (texting, e-mail, music, alarm, calculator, etc)
Pocket size spiral notebook to write EVERYTHING down (I can't imagine how overwhelming it may be, and I don't want to forget a thing).
Camera/Flip Video with batteries and charger
Disposable camera to leave at the orphanage (hopefully they’ll take some pictures of lil’ V’s day to day life during the wait between trips)
Disposable camera to leave at the orphanage (hopefully they’ll take some pictures of lil’ V’s day to day life during the wait between trips)
Memory cards (X3)
Travel Tissue Packs
Three adorable outfits sizes 3 and 4 to determine her actual size
Slippers (I will be taking my shoes off at the orphanage)
DVDs
Wet wipes, toilet paper, antibacterial wipes, antibacterial hand sanitizer
Small flashlight
Then there is all the other obvious stuff: toiletries, adoption papers/copies, addresses/phone #s, books, camera/batteries, cell phone/charger, sunglasses, laptop/Kindle, passport/visa (copies X3), makeup, straightener, hair dryer, sharpies/pens, travel pillow, journal, plane tix, change of clothing in my carry-on, cash, etc.
More great advice I received: “Keep a journal of your thoughts and reactions. Take tons and tons of photos (which many of you know will NOT be a problem for me) and keep the video rolling. You can always edit later, and no matter how much you take, you will wish you had more. You are the eyes, ears, taster and smeller of your child’s birth country. Take it all in and document it so you may share the experience some day. You can NEVER get this opportunity back!”
Here is the list of questions I am bringing to ask...
QUESTIONS
What does the orphanage need right now?
Background
Who named the child? (Birthmother, hospital, orphanage)
Do you have earlier photos? (Bringing a photo of V to exchange for the baby picture or whatever pics they have in her file)
What can you tell me about her parents? (Age and medical/mental health history/whereabouts/drugs & alcohol. Was the mother married to the birth father?)
Does the child have any siblings, half-siblings, cousins, etc. Whereabouts of siblings?
Living Relatives? Where do they live?
Was V ever visited by anyone?
Why is she in this orphanage?
How long has she been here?
Are there any other extenuating circumstances in her history?
Does V have any baptism records?
What hospital was she born at? What time of day?
Any prior abuse?
Does she remember/talk about her family or life prior to coming to the baby home?
Medical
Is she currently on any medications?
What vaccinations have been administered? (Polio, Diphtheria/Tetanus, Chicken Pox, Small Pox, Measles, Tuberculosis, Other)
What tests have been given to her?
What medical problems are known?
What normally happens when she gets sick?
Developmental Information:
What educational toys has she used/played with/enjoys?
Is she aware of different shapes/colors/letters/numbers?
What is V’s emotional development?
How does her current development compare to other children her age?
Does she have any problems with eating or sleeping?
Does she have nightmares?
Does she wet the bed?
Does she have attachment to a particular caregiver?
How many caregivers does she have?
When did she take her first steps?
Behavior:
Is she generally quiet and reserved or boisterous and busy?
Does she have any known fears, problems, issues, concerns?
How does V act when left alone?
Does she get along with: Other children? Adult females? Adult males?
Is she a favorite among orphanage caregivers?
Favorites:
What are her favorite foods?
What are her favorite foods?
What are her favorite drinks?
What are her favorite games?
What is her favorite toy?
Does she sleep with a blanket or toy?
What activities does she like to do (color, draw, “read”)?
What is her imagination like?
Does she ever talk about a family (her perception of a family)?
How does V address her caregivers?
*****After all my international trips, I think I have my packing down to a "t". However, if you notice I forgot a necessity please let me know...I have 30+ hours to throw it in my suitcase :) Also if any of you fellow mommas, have any additional questions that you feel I should ask, please let me know. From what I understand, this is a one shot deal...ask or forever wonder...no pressure, right!?!?!?*****
*****After all my international trips, I think I have my packing down to a "t". However, if you notice I forgot a necessity please let me know...I have 30+ hours to throw it in my suitcase :) Also if any of you fellow mommas, have any additional questions that you feel I should ask, please let me know. From what I understand, this is a one shot deal...ask or forever wonder...no pressure, right!?!?!?*****
I wish I had this list of questions when I traveled. Great job preparing!!
ReplyDelete